The Blockhouse is the only Colonial Era house still in the Town. The house was built prior to 1774, but the exact year is uncertain; some time after 1766 (when the original settlement of Shoreham commenced.)
It's referred to as "the blockhouse" due to it's construction. On the west side of the building, which faces the lake, thick blocks of wood were laid up instead of the regular post and beam construction on the rest of the house. This was to keep cannonballs from ships and nearby Fort Ticonderoga from penetrating the house.
It is known from contemporary accounts that the force led by Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold
camped in this vicinity before the taking of Fort Ticonderoga on May 10, 1775. They had come
along the Crown Point Road from Sudbury, making their way to Hand's Cove on the lake on May 9.
They camped in a ravine off the cove and attacked the fort amphibiously early the next morning.
The party was guided across the lake and into the fort by Nathan Beman, then eighteen years of age, the son of Samuel. There were seven settlers of Shoreham and two future residents in the attacking band, along with many others from the surrounding area. A parital list of "Green Mountain Boys" can be found at the Ethan Allen Homestead web site.
The house is on private land near Hand's Cove. Today it is used as a guest house by the people who own the property and live in the larger brick house built in the 19th century.